Ortho K (or Orthokeratology) is a specially designed contact lens that reverses the power of the cornea by reshaping it during overnight wear. Once the full effect has taken place, the eye is effectively 'normal' and can see clearly during the day.
Philip Scofield talking about hisOrtho K experience on 'This Morning'.
(please ensure that you allow the add-on to run if required by your internet browser to view the video,
please also allow a few seconds for the video to download it will play automatically).
Ortho-K is ideal for low-mid short sighted people who:
* Want clear natural vision all day - everyday.
* Find soft contact lenses do not fulfil the comfort demands their lifestyle places on them.
* Are involved in recreational and sports activiites where the use of contact lenses and spectacles is inconvenient or dangerous.
* Have considered refractive surgery because of the freedom it provides, but are worried about the risks.
* Recent research suggests that in some cases, Ortho-K can actually slow down the rate of progression of myopia (short sightness) in young children.
Ortho K lenses are manufactured from special highly oxygen permeable material. When worn during the night these lenses apply a controlled shape to the cornea, eliminating your prescription and therefore the need for daytime contact lens and/or spectacle wear
Research and experience show that the whole process is 100% reversible. So if you decide to stop wearing Ortho K for whatever reason, the eye will return to its original shape and you will see clearly with your glasses again. This makes Ortho K an excellent alternative to laser surgery.
We use a modern piece of equipment which allows us to map out the contours of the front of your eye (cornea). This gives us the information required to make the highly oxygen permeable material lenses needed. This process can also help determine and fit people with a sight threatening condition called Keratoconus.
Please click on the following link for more information on Ortho-K : www.orthoklenses.com
Please click here to arrange an appointment with one of our Optometrists or call us on 01245 461 843
T: 01245 461 843
F: 01245 464 550